I wanted to get this post out before another day goes by so that I can keep you up to date as to what I have been working on in the shop lately. First off the Goldwing cooler project is still progressing nicely as the painting of the cooler is coming along slowly. I will post the final build on that project just as soon as I am happy with the end result. But for today I want to share with you another new project that I have been thinking about for some time and have managed to put some hours into this past week.
I call this the Planet Express lighted display project. I am a big fan of the show Futurama and of course the spaceship from the show. I came across this picture online of a poster that has been around for some time of that spaceship. I like the poster but I wanted to make something similar but also a bit different. So I thought why not do a line drawing of the poster and then backlight it using LED strips in a frame.
Here is what the line drawing looks like after I reworked the design using my computer and a lot of effort to get the cross hatching the way I wanted it. I printed off a 18 x 24 inch copy of the drawing on my plotter several times to get all the detail that I wanted in the drawing correctly done. This was quite a task in itself as it took a little over an hour just to print one copy of the drawing and I went through four prints before I finally got it all worked out. This does not even include the hours that I spent just creating the line drawing itself.
I plan on reprinting the drawing hopefully for the last time on to Mylar film using my plotter once again and a drafting ink pen. Once this is complete I will taking the print and sandwiching it between two pieces of Plexiglass and mount it into a framework that will also hold a LED light strip. This light strip which will wrap around the inner perimeter of the light frame. It also will be behind the plexi/print sandwich assembly and the light frame that will have a backing board at the rear of the frame. The Mylar is just translucent enough to allow light to pass through the material to give the display a nice even look. I could have used a paper print but the paper itself when lit from the rear shows all the paper fiber. Not the look I want in the project.
One of the pluses already with the print for the project being 18 x 24 inches was that the Plexi glass that I picked up today was exactly the same size so it simplified part of the construction.
I have the led lights on order and I will have to pick up the wood for the light frame to get the construction started in the next couple of days. I also will have to wait for the drafting pens to show up so I can make the final print of the drawing.
Here's a short little video that I put together of the line drawing on my plotter. Kind of fun to watch if you've never seen a plotter running before. I could not show all the detail as again it takes over an hour to do the entire drawing with all the cross hatching that is in it.
So that's the latest update for this week. I'll post more once I get this project started in earnest in the shop. Have a good one.