Sunday, October 13, 2013

TerraTrike Velomobile Wireless Brake Light

I wanted to get this post out a few days ago and finally found the time to get photos taken of the new brake light that I will be mounting into the TerraTrike Velomobile that I have been working on.  The light I choose to use comes from the Maxxon company that makes this light.


This little light has five very bright LED's and holds 2 AAA batteries.  It is approximately 2.75 x 2.75 x 1 inch in size.  The light has three different modes.  Steady, flashing, and daylight mode.  The light responds to movement and will automatically brighten when you come to a stop.  It also has a power-on and power-off capability to conserve battery power. The light came with all the hardware needed to mount to a standard bicycle but in my use this was not needed so again I sat down at the computer and worked up an enclosure for the light.


Since I needed to be able to turn on the light I designed the enclosure for that purpose.  On the side of the light is a button to turn the light on and off.  So with that in mind the enclosure needed to be shaped so that I could get my finger on to the button easily.  This is the reason for the bump out on the top of the yellow case. I used my trusty Makerbot 3D printer once again to make the enclosure which measures 4.25 x 2.5 x 2 inches in size.


The light is surrounded by a red face plate which holds the light securely into the yellow enclosure by the use of 4mm machine screws and threaded couplers.  The couplers will be permanently mounted into the enclosure which will then be imbedded into the body at the rear of the velomobile.  To remove the light for battery replacement I only have to unscrew the face plate and the light will easily slide out.  With the addition of the flashing tail light assembly that I had already designed and built this will make driving the velomobile just a bit safer when someone is following me on the street.  
 Once I get the final design of the rear end of the velomobile figured out I will install the inclosures for the lights and post photos to show you how it will all look in the body of the velomobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment