Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Radius Teardrop Trailer

Last March I posted about a teardrop trailer that I designed and has been on my mind for more years than I care to think about.  With that post I got the itch once again to work on the design.  I had lost all of the files for the trailer in a major computer crash earlier this year so I thought I would start once again using Fusion 360 design software from Autodesk.  (Free from Autodesk by the way!) 
  I got a really good start on the design over the past couple of weeks and I wanted everyone to see what the design looks like now in better software than what I had originally worked with to create the design.  I have a long ways to go before I can say I am ready to make parts but like every project you have to start with the first step..... or just start..... period.  So that is where I am at right now just starting once again. 

(Click on the image to make it larger)

I had a short talk with my brother last night and we discussed my design and what color to make it. This I am sure will change several times over before this project sees the light of day but it's still interesting to play "What If".  I had originally had the trailer in white with blue trim as shown below. 



After looking at it this afternoon I came up with a straight red trailer with some chrome base trim as you can see by the image above (not a photograph) that I created in Fusion 360. It gives you a great idea of what the trailer would look like if and when I ever do get started with the actual build.  Within my design work I did manage to get a few specs about the trailer.  It would stand 5' 6" tall, a little over 6' wide and the body being 10' long.  The wheels that you see on the trailer along with the doors and windows all can be purchased so it actually could be built the way it looks.  Encouraging to be sure.
  I will have to make a printout of this image and hang it up in the workshop to constantly remind me to keep working on the design.  It would be a great project to build and even a better one to use and have the rights to say "I designed and built this!" 
  Been on my bucket list way to long.  But as I said every project needs to have a first step and this is as good a first step as any.  I'll post more when I get farther along with the design and some of the ideas I have for it. Enjoy the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment